Friday, August 22, 2008

Post #150: One More Week

Until the Wedding. 7 days. Can't wait.

Things have been calming down which has allowed me to get on the tables a few times. Good success. Game focus has been awesome.

I've taken 2 shots at the $10+1 $30k guarantee at 19:00 on PokerStars (4pm arizone time, 7pm EST). Both times I've capitalized on good reads and a loose image to get up to 10k shortly into the 2nd hour.

But that has put me in a position I haven't been very often. In the 2nd hour of a tourney with an above average stack. I've continued my aggression especially as we approached the bubble.

But then I made a mistake both times to go out about 50 or 60 shy of the bubble. Good enough to beat over 2500 other donks but not good enough to get any cash.

Game 1: I'm in BB with A7. Min raise from active UTG+1 player. Flop is 345 rainbow. Villain raises small. I float intending to bet any turn if checked to me. 7 turn. Nice. I bet. He shoves. 4k more to be put into the top 100 if I win. I call. He has 66 and I go home. Absolutely terrible terrible play by me the entire way. I had lost my focus (fiance got home plus a phone call) and I paid the penalty.

Game 2: Got put on life tilt again as we neared the bubble. Decided to call a midstack shove over my late position raise with 55. AQ. Q on flop. Knocked me down to 2k and I wasn't able to get the needed double or triple. Dumb play by me.

What I am very happy with is that I was in position to make those mistakes. I'm thisclose to a breakthrough here. A 5k first place would be very nice.

Plus my cash game is paying for my entry fee so my bankroll has been unaffected. Cash is going well. My reads are good. My positional play is good. I still hate variance but, eh, who doesn't?

And just to let everyone know, I'm cheering for Waffles in his challenge. For some odd reason, I like the guy and his attitude. Keep it up bud.

Take care,

DubsPoke aka ZoninoDP

1 comment: