Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The OBFV: Maximizing Returns Against Fish

While I was waiting for sleep to arrive last night, I got to thinking about why I was able to fly up through 2NL and 5NL so quickly yet have some slight struggles at 10NL and 25NL.

"What is different?" was the question I was asking.

The OBFV. The Overbet For Value has disappeared a bit from my game. For those not familiar with the concept, check out Fuell55's blog, Creativity Breeds Madness and look for a few of his archives.

Essentially, when you have a lock in a hand or are a very heavy favorite.....Shove. The fish will call. You have to choose your spots and your victims carefully but, over the long term, the small value you miss by not betting smaller is more than made up for by the large return you get when they do call.

I haven't been doing ANY OBFV for the most part. As a result, I'm winning a lot of small to medium pots while not winning big ones.

That changes today. I'll let you know how it works out after my first session this morning.

Wish me luck! (Apparently I need it right now!!!)

DubsPoke

No comments:

Post a Comment