A comentor in a previous post made a good comment regarding specializing in cash games as they have been proven to be the most consistent way to grind a profit. It's a valid point that I have considered.
However, I am choosing not to specialzie in one type of game for the following reasons:
1) Self-indulgence. More specifically, I really like the "I Win, I am better than you" feeling as you take down a SNG or MTT (espeically MTTs).
2) MTT wins provide very nice influxes of cash to your bankroll relative to the buy-in when you place in the top 5.
3) I want to be the best overall player that I can be.
4) I believe skills learned in SNGs and MTTs can be intertwined with the cash game. For example, hand reading vs stack size is especially important situational skill in both.
5) Helps prevent burnout. The grind in cash games can be exactly that at times, a grind.
6) Time. Sometimes I will have sufficient time for a SNG or an MTT. Oten times I will not. Being good at cash games can fill the spots where I only have an hour or two.
Those are just a few of the reasons. I believe it is pertinent to always be reviewing why you do something. This is a short-list of why I will continue to play both MTTs and SNGs.
PS: ~$280 (haven't grinded too many hands here recently but when I have it's been good.)
FT: ~$85. (Love variance that SNGs and MTTs provide. Shooting for a 25% ITM rate for my $2 buy-in MTTs. Still examining what is a good stat in SNGs for ITM.)